Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Adding a filter to the irrigation system

When we moved into our new home, there was an irrigation system installed. Although it was not properly maintained or installed, it saved us from buying all the stuff to get it working. One of the things I recently noticed is that some of the old button drippers were clogged with dirt. I also noticed the system did have a water pressure regulator but did not have any filter so I stopped by Home Depot and bought one.

Take a look at the way it is now:


To the right of the valve there is the filter, then the pressure regulator and then the adaptor from 3/4 PVC pipe to the 1/2 poly tubing which is what carries the water to the garden.

Installing this water filter is straightforward, the water filter has 3/4 inch MPT-FPT connectors so I just used some Teflon tape on the threads and screw it in. I had to cut some of the polytube to fit the filter but that was it. Here I am adding some Teflon tape to the threads of one of the adapters:


I like using Teflon tape even on garden hoses because not only prevents leaking but it also helps keeping corrosion out and makes it easier to unscrew when you need to replace something.

Back to the filter, the nice feature is that you can easily take out the filter mesh to check for dirt and clean it up:


If dirty, I put it under the sink to clean it up, and put it back in and that's it for this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment