Sunday, May 1, 2011

New Hammer Drill

Last week I bought myself a new hammer drill. One guy from Fallbrook, CA was selling this drill for 40 bucks and I went ahead and took wife and kids and drove for 1 hour to pick it up. It was worth the trip, as it's a Dewalt DC925 that is in good condition and will come in handy for masonry work.


We also took the chance to eat some burgers at Nessy Burger which is a very nice place with a town-like feeling and nice people. By the way the burgers are very good.

The first thing I do when I buy something used is clean it up thoroughly. I did this with a grease remover called Oil Eater. Then I opened it up to check the status of the brushes, motor and transmission. The brushes were in very good condition, looked like almost new so it seemed like the drill was not used too often. And the motor was in perfect condition too. I used some compressed air to get dust out of the drill enclosure, motor and other parts, then added some lithium grease to all the drill gears as a maintenance. When doing this, don't add too much grease, just enough for lubrication.

Only thing I am suspicious about the drill is the transmission, sometimes it gets stuck between gears. So I ordered a new transmission and will be replacing it next week. Then it'll be ready to rock and roll.

One of the things I like about this drill, besides its awesome power, is the fact that it comes with an all-metal chuck. The drill is definitely heavier than the typical drill, for example heavier than the Dewalt DC720, but it's also more powerful and includes the hammering feature. Since I use it around the house, I am not so concerned about its weight.

Close-up of the DC925 Rohm chuck

Overall a good drill that hope it will last many years. Can't wait to use it with some TapCon screws.

No comments:

Post a Comment